Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Honfleur



By Morgan McKenna

This afternoon we made a stop at Honfleur, a small fishing village in France. As you approach the center of town, you're greeted by a harbor which was first built for the purpose of commerce. Today it is more a "local's dock," but there is local trade just by the water's edge. The "U" shaped harbor is surrounded by restaurants and shops. Our purpose for this stop was to grab some lunch and do some exploring. Some of us dined on French cuisine while others grabbed a quick crepe before they ventured off. The village offers the traditional souvenirs but is also well known for its artisan finds. You'll find these special stores hidden up alley ways, around windy turns, and even in plain sight. There is also Carré des Arts which is an Arts Square that has a number of unique shops. Unfortunately we arrived in Honfleur just as the locals were getting ready for lunch. We found that a majority of the stores closed for a couple hours at midday but that didn't stop us from exploring to find the few stops that remained open.
Don and Mike Stand at the Port in Honfluer

A fun fact we learned on the bus was that Erik Satie, the French composer and pianist, was born in Honfleur. He was known for his impact on surrealism among other art movements and was also very eccentric. He was often seen wearing a bright purple jacket and walking his pet lobster through the streets of Paris. His home in Honfleur is now a museum dedicated to him and his career.

I would like to end this post by offering some advice for happy traveling. I've been extremely fortunate to have traveled to Europe a few times during my college career. While traveling overseas brings so much joy, knowledge, experience, and overall wonderful stories and memories, it can also bring a sense of isolation if you aren't well versed in the language and culture. While experiencing this feeling, I found ways to positively approach it.

About a year ago I studied abroad in Galway, Ireland which is very much like Honfleur. It's small, located on the coast, and well known for its fishing/seafood. I chose Galway because it reminded me of my hometown and I knew it would present me with a sense of familiarity. As we entered Honfleur, I saw the same familiarity of Galway and I knew this place would be special.

I felt comfortable with the overall feel of Honfleur, but at the same time, I was hesitant in that I speak no French and know very little about French culture. And though I knew a lot about Irish culture before I went away, I realized I felt very uncomfortable being the outsider. I didn't want to offend anyone and I didn't want to do anything that would label me as even more of a tourist than I already was. However I realize that traveling to new places means that you must push through these fears, turn them into a game if you will. Use the three French words that you know to speak with the shop owner. Show that you want to try and it'll be appreciated. You might end the conversation knowing more about the local culture and hidden spots, maybe even gaining a friend as well. When given a menu that looks as though it were written in extreme secret code, order the food you're unsure of. It might not be your favorite but you'll at least get a good story. It might even end up being the most amazing meal you've had. My point being that when uncomfortable in a new place, whether that be France or even a neighboring town where you live, try. Approach the situation with a welcoming attitude and you'll be rewarded. Finding comfort means leaving your comfort zone. The more you try, the easier it'll be to relax and actually feel at home in a new place.

3 comments:

  1. I would love to visit this city after reading about your experience there. I know about the French culture and can speak French so I think I would enjoy it as well. All of the French cities by the water are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to France, but did study the language. Even with knowledge of it I feel like I would have been in the same situation as you. I like your tip about ordering the strangest sounding food on the menu. I love French food and think that's a great way to experience new and interesting dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. France seems like an incredible place to visit. Just like you, I have been lucky enough to been to Europe twice in my life. It is an amazing place to be. I have not been to France just yet, but when I went to Italy, I had similar thoughts as you. I had visited family in Italy and I felt like such a correlation with my home town. I would love to revisit again. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete