Friday, March 10, 2017

Shabbat Dinner

By Gina Irizarry


Shabbat dinner is all about the rest day for people of the Jewish religion. Today we as a group had the opportunity to join in a very special Shabbat dinner. There were many special guests there including Leo Ullman and his wife, the Rabbi with his wife Seera, Dan Kochavi and his son John, as well as Maud Dahme and Dean Robert Gregg with his wife Kim. We began the dinner with a blessing of the challa bread and wine then continued with a delicious kosher meal including matza ball soup, fish, filet mignon, and an apple tart with sherbert kiwi fruit. After dinner we danced to hlava nagila with everyone including the rabbi while the wonderful music was playing in the background. Through the Shabbat dinner we all became a community tonight and made a wonderful start to the Sabbath.




9 comments:

  1. Very nice coverage and pictures without any reference to those areas where we asked for discretion. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shabbat has always been one of my favorite holidays, and luckily, it comes once every week! There is nothing more peaceful and satisfying than sitting down every Friday night with my family and sharing a meal over candlelight. I'm glad that everyone who went on your trip had the opportunity to partake in a traditional Shabbat dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great time! I love experiencing new cultures so i think I would have loved being there. Dancing seems like a very fun activity after dinner. I can only image all of the smiling faces that were there at night. I did not know about Shabbat before reading this post but to me it seems like a peaceful and happy time. I hope everyone enjoyed their dinners just as much as they enjoyed the dancing!

    -Kevin L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted to participate in Shabbat. It is awesome that you had this opportunity and experienced the community feeling. I didn't know there was dancing after the meal, either. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know what the Shabbat dinner was or what it was about, so this blog helped immensely. I love to hear about other cultures and I took a class called Basic Judaism, but we never learned about this. I love the pictures too and think its awesome that you had the chance to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog gave me a better understanding of what Shabbat dinner really was. I have heard about it in the past and almost everytime people tell me the food is amazing but now i know the story behind it. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great dinner and to have so many special guest to share in the true experience of a Shabbat dinner must have been an exciting night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be wonderful being able to experience another culture like that! I wasn't really sure what the Shabbat dinner was, but now I do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never really experienced another cultural meal like this before. This is very informative because I never knew anything about it and what was involved. It would be awesome to experience the food and dancing.

    ReplyDelete