Thursday, March 9, 2017

Walking Tour of Amsterdam

By Casey Cuff

*WWII Monument at Dam Square


Today, after we got settled in Amsterdam, one group took a small tour around the city. First we went to Dam square, the city's bustling hub. This is a really popular place to hang out, brimming people. A national monument to World War II stands in the center of Dam Square. The tall monument stands very high and on it there are sculptured elements, including were four chained men that represent the suffering that was endured during the war. Another four men, of verying sizes,  represented the Dutch resistance. Kneeling dogs that were are a symbols of loyalty Last but not least,  a woman holding up a child with white doves around her head stand for peace, loyalty, and a new life! Our walk continued  along the canal. Most houses by the canal were originally workshops and factories built by  tradesman. Hooks and sometimes pulleys at the top of some houses were for lifting goods into the factory on the upper floors. The facades of many of the houses along each side of many streets lean outward and inward. This is because the foundations have settled unevenly over the centuries, causing the houses to "dance," or move, as they settle.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have really enjoyed visiting this city! the "dancing" building sound the best to me. Was the city functioning or was it just like a town to walk through and see the old building and you can imagine how things ra while you were given a tour? it looks very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my bucket list adventures. Thank you for describing the WWII monument. I tried to zoom in on the photo you posted and couldn't quit make out what was on there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog. I love the symbolism behind all of the sculptures especially the woman holding up the child. They all hold such strong meaning and I'm sure they were just an amazing sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading about your adventures at Dam Square. The way you described the center makes me want to visit! I love that there is so much symbolism behind the sculptures, this way if you are a resident or a foreigner visiting, you can just picture the strength of the town. From the picture you provided, it reminds me so much of the center squares in Italy and how much history they have. Just walking down the streets you see the different buildings and how old they are, then after learning about their history you become amazed by the culture! I hope you had a blast during this trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog post! I enjoyed reading about your Dam Square adventures. I always wanted to visit Amsterdam, and your post makes me want to go even more! I love the symbolism of the sculptures. My favorite is probably the woman holding the child with white doves surrounding her head. I love how the white doves indicate peace. I bet you enjoyed seeing all of these sights in person! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great description of the town square. Amsterdam like most cities in Europe has such a rich history. I've been fortunate to visit many cities in Europe, I've yet to make it to Amsterdam. I'd love to make it there and see those dancing houses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds great! I haven't had an opportunity to travel to Europe. However, I will include Amsterdam on my list now. Thanks for describing the details of the monument. I enjoy reading your explanation of the meaning of different parts of the monument. It is meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fascinating experience! I have heard many times how amazing Amsterdam is to visit. My grandparents are European WWII refugees so I would love to see the monument you mentioned. It sounds like a very powerful experience and I am sure it is one you will remember forever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This experience is once in a life time! I hope I am able to get an opportunity like this in the future. The image you attached does not even look real!! Thank you for sharing your experience

    ReplyDelete
  11. This seemed like quite the unique experience! The way you talked about the city made me really want to visit it. You also gave a nice description of the monument and everything it represents.

    ReplyDelete